Royal Grace to the Chairman of the University Council
His Majesty King Maha Vajiralongkorn and Her Majesty the Queen Suthida Bajrasudhabimalalakshana presided over the Dushdi Mala Medal Awards for civil servants having great contributions to academic fields at Dusit Palace on 15 February 2021.
Professor Dr. Wichit Srisa-an, the Chairman of the University Council was honored with the Dushdi Mala Medal — Pin of Arts and Science (Sinlapa Witthaya) in the field of Education, along with other seven honored professors in various academic fields, following the Announcement of the Office of the Prime Minister on 25 January 2021.
The Dushdi Mala Medal is a civil decoration, established by King Chulalongkorn (Rama V) in 1882 to celebrate the centennial of the Rattanakosin Kingdom. It is the highest-ranked medal among those granted for services to the state.
Professor Wichit is regarded as a matriarch in the history of education in Thailand and abroad, awarded and honored with honorary doctorate degrees from various educational institutions. He created numerous beneficial academic works in the field of educational studies. Moreover, he has served as administrators of higher education institutions and has held important positions in education-related departments, namely:
• Permanent Secretary, Ministry of University Affairs, Thailand
• Minister of Education, the Royal Government of Thailand
• Member of the Senate, The National Parliament, Thailand
• Member of the House of Representatives
• Chairman, House Committee on Education, The National Parliament, Thailand
• President of the University Council
– Chairman, Suranaree University of Technology Council
– Chairman, Walailak University Council
– Chairman, Sukhothai Thammathirat Open University Council
– Adviser, Office for National Education Standards and Quality Assessment (Public Organization)
• Founding Rector
– Sukhothai Thammathirat Open University
– Suranaree University of Technology
– Walailak University
• Founding President
– Asian Association of Open Universities (AAOU)
– Association of Universities of Asia and the Pacific (AUAP)
– Institutional Research and Higher Education Development Association
– Thai Association for Cooperative Education (TACE)
He is also the pioneer in and the creator of numerous educational innovations in Thailand e.g. Open and Long Distance Education, Public Autonomous University, Institutional Research and Higher Education Development, and Cooperative and Work-Integrated Education.